Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Some Kid Stuff

Has anyone seen that trick on pinterest where you wash your berries in 1 part white vinegar and 10 parts water before putting them away and it will help keep them fresh?   I was questioning if this would work or not but since I went to Costco and bought blueberries and strawberries for my berry eating of a machine Anna Claire, I thought I would try it.  Pretty much every berry is super expensive right now and I hate getting through half a container and having to throw away the rest.  I thought I would try this little pinterest trick and see if it worked.
So the verdict is that it is true...washing the berries in the vinegar/water mixture before putting them away worked wonders.  I still have a large ziploc of strawberries in my fridge from about a week ago and they still look great!  Now, I could be the last person on the planet that knew about this little trick but I am sure happy I tried it out.
My second kid trick this week.  Yogurt drops...

AC is loving yogurt right now.  However, she doesn't always finish the large containers.  The small baby containers leave her wanting more.  She loved those freeze dried yogurt drops so when I saw the above on pinterest I thought she would probably enjoy.  I don't go to all of the trouble to put my yogurt in a bag and piping it out.  I just spoon some leftover yogurt out on a foil lined cookie sheet and stick it in the freezer.  The drops come off the foil super easy and then there is no mess on my cookie sheet.  I certainly don't want to go about causing myself more dishes to wash!  You have to keep the drops in the freezer after removing them but they are a great addition to a meal or for a quick snack!  If you are looking for a replacement to those Gerber yogurt snacks this is not really the thing because you can't really throw these in your diaper bag for a snack later but they will definitely do as a healthy at home snack!

2 comments:

Wendy Ray said...

I have never heard of the vinegar trick but I'm trying it right now! Sick of throwing out berries, too! Thanks for the tip!

Wendy Ray said...

I have never heard of the vinegar trick but I'm trying it right now! Sick of throwing out berries, too! Thanks for the tip!