Friday, October 26, 2012

Fresh from the Farm

One way we have been able to keep up our whole food eating is the Group CSA basket we receive every week.  I can't believe I have only been receiving this basket for 3 months and now I can't imagine planning and cooking my meals without it.  I already know we are not ordering for November because we will be out of town a lot next month and I am trying to plan how to get most of my meat. Luckily the farm we use sells their meat at a local store here in town (SuperLo in East Memphis) as well, so I guess I will be making some trips there.  

The farm where we receive our Group CSA basket is West Wind Farms.  The offer multiple types of CSA programs but this one fits our family the best.  I only have to make a 1 month at a time commitment and each Saturday I go and pick up our basket.  Each week I get a dozen eggs, 5 different veggies, 3 meats, cheese and either a peanut or almond butter.  They are more than generous with their offerings and do a great job of giving you a good variety throughout the month.  The best thing about everything we get in our basket-it is all organic.  All livestock is grass feed and not given antibiotics and the produce is grown according to organic practices.  I am so comfortable knowing what I am putting into my family's plate is good for them.


 The above and below represent what we got one Saturday.  Told you they were generous!  We got a note saying they were sorry that the summer drought had cause less variety in meat selection so they doubled our meat!  I had a very happy husband!
 Here are a few pictures from August and September.  Let me tell you that corn was some of the best corn I have ever had.  We got corn every week for about a month so I have plenty of it in my freezer.  We will be enjoying that corn all winter long.



You might be wondering what kind of dinners I make during the week using our farm basket.  I do a lot of pinterest searching on Saturdays after I get the basket.  Since I don't know what I am getting until I pick up my basket I don't usually plan my weekly menu until Saturdays 
Monday-Cheesy Beef Pasta-think a hamburger helper box, 40x better tasting and better for you.  I made it with whole wheat pasta and local ground beef. My kids have ate this almost every night since! Score 1 for mom-Emma ate meat!
Tuesday-Braised Chicken with Lemons and Capers.  This was a more labor intensive meal than I thought.  I will cook it again but probably on a weekend.  I used our bone in chicken breast from the farm basket, served it with roasted potatoes (also from the basket) and sauteed squash.  
Wednesday-leftover Cheesy Beef Pasta and Trunk or Treat at Emma's school
Thursday-Breakfast for Dinner-a family favorite and so easy!  We had whole wheat biscuits or whole wheat waffles.  I made both because I just freeze the left overs for during the week.  No more Eggo's for these kiddos!  We also had scrambled eggs and breakfast sausage both from our basket.  I will say we try to eat more eggs these days.  Since we get a dozen a week they can really stack up if you don't use them!

Now it is Friday and time for us to go spend the weekend at the river.  We have a relaxing weekend planned playing with our cousin.  Daddy is staying home to study for a test so I am braving the trip by myself!

No comments: