Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Changing our Ways

A few months ago I stumbled across a site on Facebook-100 Days of Real Food.  I thought it looked interesting, as I am always wanting us to eat healthier options.  For a few weeks I followed the posts and read what the author had to say, it was drawing me in more each time I read.  After looking at the Facebook posts I decided to try the website out.
I thought that what I was reading was really making sense and I liked that there was research to back up the facts.  If I am going to try and change Bradley's eating habits, I have to have some proof that what I am doing is for a good reason!  It was funny that in the middle of all of this research I was doing one of my best friends emailed me a youtube video talking about the same thing-Clean Eating.  Here is the video that Melinda shared with me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixyrCNVVGA&feature=youtu.be

I decided to give all of this real food eating a try and set off to complete the 100 days of mini pledges.  The pledges are broken down into weeks and each week you change one habit.  You don't have to build the weeks on top of each other but I find that it is pretty easy to do.  Right now I am on Week 5: Try 2 new whole foods.  So it is Tuesday now and so far I have tried one-pomegranate.  I have probably had pomegranate juice before but I have never bought a whole piece of the fruit and tried to eat it-I had to google had to tackle that one!  I bought a new veggie at the Farmer's Market and we got a new veggie in our CSA basket this week as well so I am on track to try three new things.  We will see how I do.  One of the veggies is Japanese radish and I almost ate it last night but didn't-it is a little scary.  So far things haven't been too hard-I haven't had a coke in a month and haven't had fast food in 3 weeks.  The cokes were the hardest thing to give up but after I got through that week without them, I really don't even want them anymore.

So, I had another reason to switch our eating habits.  If you know us at all I have one super picky child and one child who will eat anything, or at least she used to!  I have started noticing that AC was starting to become more picky about her foods.  I had fallen into the short order cook style with Emma and I refused to do it any longer.  So the new rule in our house is that kids eat what the adults eat.  I won't say it has been an easy transition and it hasn't been without tears.  I still like to put something on their plate that I know they like but we are also trying new foods at each meal.  Some of the larger accomplishments in my book of things the girls have tried: summer squash, sweet potatoes, and cushaw squash muffins.  Bonus points if you know what cushaw is!  We got it in our CSA basket-more about that later.


1 comment:

Gleatie said...

Is a cushaw the same thing as a pecano salad or a star puff? Or a Toco?